Stuffed French Toast with a Homemade Peach Syrup

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

So, I'm still getting used to this whole blogging thing, and I'm not too sure how many times to post or what to post.  Am I only allowed to post about food? I don't know, many I'll some of my random ramblings.  But for now, I present to you....

Brunch addition!!! I love all things breakfast and brunch related.  Give me pancakes, eggs, bacon, and homefries every meal and I'll be happy for the rest of my life.  I found this amazing recipe on allrecipes.com, which has so many good recipes contributed by the readers.  What I really like about this website is that all the contributed recipes can be rated and everyone leaves a lot of comments of how they tweaked the recipe to make it better.  The original recipe is actually pretty fancy, here's a link.

Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast with Peaches

Instead of following the exact recipe, I changed up a few of the ingredient to make it
A. more affordable, and
B. more affordable
Let's face it, good Mascarpone cheese can get pretty expensive.  Also, I don't think I was able to find it at my local grocery store.  Maybe I didn't search hard enough.  Anyways, here's my version


Ingredients

Homemade Peach Syrup
2 Fresh Peaches
4 Tbl of Sugar
Pinch of Nutmeg
Pinch of Cinnamon

Stuffed French Toast
6 Slices of bread
3 Eggs
1/4 cup of Milk
1/2 cup of Cream cheese
1/4 cup of Sour cream
1/2 teaspoon of Pure Vanilla Extract (of 1 teaspoon of imitation)
4 Tbls of Sugar

Homemade Peach Syrup
1. Peel and slice peaches over the sauce pan to catch all the juices.  Put the sauce pan over medium high heat. 
2. Add sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon to the sauce pan and stir in with the peaches. 
3. Turn the heat down to medium/low and continue cooking for about 10 minutes (stir occasionally), until the mixture resembles syrup.  Remove from the head and set aside for later. 

Here's a picture of the syrup in the pan



Stuffed French Toast
1. Add Cream cheese, Sour cream, Vanilla extract, and Sugar into a bowl.  You can add more or less sugar depending on how sweet you would like your filling.
2. Beat all ingredients on low until everything is blended and creamy.  Set aside for later 
3. Whisk together milk and eggs in a shallow bowl.  Make sure it's large enough for a slice of bread to be easily dipped into the bowl. 
4. Heat up the pan and add a little oil or butter on the pan.
5. Dip the slices of bread into the milk and eggs mixture, and cook in the pan until both sides are brown.
6. Put a scoop of the cream cheese filling in between two slices of bread, and top off the french toast with the warm peach syrup sauce

This was really easy to make, even though it was a few components.  It was definitely a nice way to use peaches that were starting to over ripen.  The filling substitute reminded me of cream cheese icing on red velvet cakes, so I think it was very successful.  I definitely want to try this with the original recipe, with nice bread and Mascarpone cheese.  But that will be for another time.

I'll be going to Ocean City, Maryland with a few friends this weekend, so I'm not too sure if I'll have another recipe up.  But I will definitely have some pictures of the food that I eat in Maryland this weekend.  I'm hoping to have crazy amount of Maryland Blue crab with lots of Old Bay seasoning!!! So stay tuned!!!!!




2 comments:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! looks delicioso!!!! wish i had the ingredients to make it RIGHT NOW. :( wish i can eat my mac screen! :(

nomnomnom hahahaHA

awesome name nuna!

im kinda sad that im not home to taste these new creations